Sixth, Seventh and Eighth grade students are invited to serve at our masses. To be trained as a new server, please contact Kim Elkins at email@example.com.
CURRENT SERVER SCHEDULE:
JANUARY-MARCH 2018 SCHEDULE updated 2.13.18
INSTRUCTIONS TO SERVERS
- Commit to being on time for Mass (fifteen minutes before start time)
- Mass times are: 5:30pm Saturday, 8:00 am, 9:30 am, 11:15 am.
- Commit to moving slowly and prayerfully during the liturgy.
- Know the names of everything on the altar: credence table, altar, ambo, Easter candle, altar candles, tabernacle, ciborium, chalice, paton, cruet, finger bowl, purificator, corporal, sacramentary, lectionary.
- Arrive fifteen minutes early and go to the Sacristy.
- Light the candles (The lighters are in the top drawer of the sacristy. Back up lighters are on the top shelf of the ambo. Put the lighters back after you use them.)
- one at the podium
- two at the altar
- Easter candle ONLY if there is a Baptism
- Set the Credence table, placing all the vessels on the table in the order in which you will remove them at the Offertory. There is a picture on the wall.
- Chalice; on top of the chalice is one corporal and one purificator (corporal is on top)
- four cups, each filled ½ full or more
- four purificators, one for each cup
- one small pitcher of water set inside the finger bowl; one purificator
- Gifts to the main entry (Vestibule) of the Church: place the pitcher of wine and one (if at the 8:00 or 11:15 mass) or two (5:30 and 9:30 mass) patons of hosts on the small table.
- Vest: servers robes are in the Robing Room and organized by size. If the robe is dirty, place it in the laundry basket and choose a different one.
- Wait: once everything is ready, stand at the main entrance to the worship space and Fr. Bob will give the cue when to start. Do not socialize. You are working!
- Walk up the center aisle, one person on either side of the blue line. Walk together. Walk slowly. The 1st server sets the pace.
- Wait at the bottom step for Fr. Bob. Bow to the altar with Fr. Bob
- Walk up the steps and stand in front of your chair. Server #1 holds the Sacramentary.
- the welcome
- the Sign of the Cross
- the Penitential Rite
- The Opening Prayer: server #1 holds the book for Fr. Bob
- 1st reading
- 1st Response
- 2nd reading
- Gospel (stand)
- Prayers of the Faithful
1) Fr. Bob will sit down. The servers go together to the credence table:
- Place the chalice, corporal and purificator on the altar at the center. Place the corporal down first. Place purificator on the right side of the corporal. Place chalice at the top center of the corporal.
- Place the four cups filled with wine on the right hand side of the altar table and the four purificators to the right of the cups.
2) Together, walk down the center aisle and when reaching the front entrance, turn. Stop. Pause. When everyone is ready, begin to walk to the altar slowly. Server #1 sets the pace.
3) Stand on either side of Fr. Bob. After receiving the gifts, let Fr. Bob move first, follow him to the altar. Place the gifts on the altar (see picture) and then go to the credence table for the water, and the finger bowl and towel. You are not in a hurry. Fr. Bob will….
- Offer the bread to God
- Prepare the chalice and the cups (he needs the small pitcher of water)
- Ogfer the wine to God
- Pray briefly over the gifts.
- Wash his hands.
- Invite the congregation to stand.
4) After the washing of the hands you will return the finger bowl, pitcher and purificator to the credence table. Take the wine pitcher off the altar. Place it on the credence table. Together, leave the sanctuary and go to your place at the bottom of the steps.
5) At the Our Father, join Fr. Bob in the sanctuary (at 9:30 he will join you) and then proceed as usual for communion.
- Server #2: remove the vessels and remove the purificator (s).
- Fold the corporal (in thirds) and place on credence table
- Take the Sacramentary to Server #1’s chair.
- Server #1 turn off all SIX light switches. Do not turn them back on until Fr. Bob says, “we have a few announcements” or “Let us pray.” Do not turn them on while the musicians are introducing the music for meditation. ONLY turn them off for announcements or final prayer. You have to listen to the first few words of the sentence to know what’s going on in the Mass.
- Leave the Sacramentary on the server’s chair
- Recess out with Fr. Bob. Bow to the altar with Fr. Bob.
- Walk slowly.
- Take off your robe and hang it properly in the Robing Room
- Return to the sanctuary to extinguish candles and clear the credence table.
- Forget to come.
- Forget to light all the candles before Mass.
- Forget to remove the pitcher of wine from the altar after the washing of hands.
- Forget to extinguish the candles after the Mass.
- If the robe you are wearing is dirty, place it in the laundry basket and get a new one. After mass hang your alb according to size.
- Remember that the adults are in charge of preparing the vessels. But it’s your job to double check everything to see that you have all that you need to serve Fr. Bob. And its your job to fix the mistake before the mass begins.